The Avondale depot is one of only a handful of surviving examples of frame depots with large, "main line" style bay windows. Depots of this type were generally built in manual block territory, and the extra space was used for the interlocking machine. Avondale was built in 1912 as a 16x40-foot #1 main line standard depot. At some point the baggage/freight room was extended. In the picture, note how paint stripping has revealed the older mineral brown paint on the original portion of the depot, but only colonial yellow on the freight room addition. By the 1990's, Avondale had been sold and moved to Devine, CO for use as a cafe. The building was subsequently modified further, and a 1999 visit found the cafe closed.
Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots: Colorado
Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots
Back to Santa Fe Subjects