Friona, TX

The 24x64 depot at Friona, TX is one of only a few depots outside of the Gulf Lines that combined the pre-1910 style 12 and 8-pane windows and "cobweb" style roof brackets with the post-1910 standard shiplap siding (the depots down the line at Bovina and Farwell were other examples). The depot was moved to a park in town and restored in 1985. Although not immediately apparent in this 2005 photo by Shane Murphy, the depot has been re-sided with low maintenance siding, and the diamond-shaped asbestos shingles have also been replaced. The depot appears to have had few modifications during its years along the Santa Fe. The waiting room door lost its transom at some point, and a short window in one corner of the waiting room indicates the installation of an indoor restroom, replacing the "water closet" down at the end of the platform.

Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots: Texas

Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots

Back to Santa Fe Subjects