This structure is believed to be the final depot from Thatcher, CO. Its nonstandard appearance is due in part to its having been built as a two-story, 18x36-foot depot in 1882, and rebuilt as a one story structure in 1936. The rebuild apparently involved a lot more than just shearing off the second floor, as a 1931 photo of the original two-story Thatcher depot shows board and batten siding, and the freight and passenger ends on opposite sides of the bay from the configuration shown above. The depot was retired in 1965, and was ultimately moved to a location along US-350 just south of La Junta, CO, where it is shown in 1999.
Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots: Colorado
Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots
Back to Santa Fe Subjects