Panhandle, TX

Panhandle, TX was enjoying an oil boom and had a population pushing 2000 souls when this impressive brick depot was built in 1928. Santa Fe had plans for county seat depots that it "reused" at many locations over the first two decades of the 20th century, but by the 1920's, construction of new brick depots was infrequent enough that most new structures were system uniques. The only depot known to share common traits with Panhandle is the 1925-built depot 44 miles to the west at Canyon, TX.

After retirement, Panhandle's depot was covered into the city hall, and presented a well-kept appearance when its photograph was taken in 1986.

Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots: California

Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots

Back to Santa Fe Subjects