Perryton, TX

The original depot at Perryton, TX, built in 1919, was a rare example of a "1910" Santa Fe #4 standard for branchlines, with an extended freight room that brought its total length to nearly that of a #5 standard, 120 feet. A 1920 photo of the depot in Robert Pounds' Santa Fe Depots - The Western Lines suggests that it was painted Colonial Yellow with Bronze Green trim at the time it was built, a very early application of this color scheme.

A 1964 rebuilding resulted in the shortened, asbestos-clad structure shown here. The building was reduced to 24x50, apparently by removing most of the freight section and remodeling the baggage, office, and waiting room. Note a portion of the original freight platform in the distance, illustrating just how long the depot once was. Notice also the unusual "detached" paddle order board, which required the operator to walk outside the depot to turn the crank. The depot remains on-site as the headquarters of the Southwestern Railroad, which has operated the former Santa Fe Shattuck Subdivision since 1990. The train order signal has been moved to the Museum of the Plains in the northern part of Perryton, where it is displayed in front of the depot from Fargo, OK (see Santa Fe Surviving Depots: Oklahoma). Photos by Doyle Davis, 1987.

Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots: Texas

Back to Santa Fe Surviving Depots

Back to Santa Fe Subjects